Posted August 21, 2014 by Liberty Tree Team
At Liberty Tree Care and Management, trees are our world! Our certified arborists have dedicated countless hours to learning about what makes trees tick, and the best ways to care for them to ensure beautiful, long-lasting lives. Many of our arborists grew up in and around Philadelphia – the same communities that we provide tree care and landscaping for today!
Here are a few fun tree facts that might help you out at your next Quizzo night!
- Every state has an official Tree. The Official state tree of Pennsylvania is the Hemlock (Source). The conifer tree is in the pine family, and got its name because when you crush its needles, you get a similar smell to the unrelated poison hemlock (Source).
- Forests cover 30% of the planet’s surface. 45% of carbon stored on land are tied up in forest. In Philadelphia, the forest coverage is quite a bit lower, but we’re still lucky enough to have a lot of green spaces including Fairmount Park, which is home to a variety of tree species and plant life!
- A mature leafy tree produces as much oxygen in a season as 10 people inhale in a year. That’s what makes them such important resources for everyone! Source: Arbor Day Foundation.
- On average 6 million trees are planted each year in the U.S. That’s a whole lot of new growth! Our arborists are proud to have contributed to a small portion of those plantings. Source
- Most trees can absorb as much as 48 lbs of carbon Dioxide per year! They’re basically nature’s air purifiers. Source
- Trees have been in existence on the plant for 370 million years. Source
- Giant sequoias – Sequoiadendron giganteum are the world’s largest living thing by volume and the world’s largest single trees. Source